2016年3月21日星期一

Melancholia V.S. Breakfast at Tiffany's

The movie I love is breakfast at Tiffany’s. “Breakfast at Tiffany's is a 1961 American romantic comedy film starring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard, and featuring Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, and Mickey Rooney. The film was directed by Blake Edwards and released by Paramount Pictures. It is loosely based on the novella of the same name by Truman Capote.” It was an really old and classic movie, which I saw this when I was a child. I really love the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It’s also a long, tracking shot. It follows the taxi from a distance to the close. I also like the contrast of this sense, the yellow taxi and the empty, grey buildings and road. Then it follows the movement of Audrey, that she walked towards the window. gets her breakfast out. I especially love the scene that the window reflects the movement that her walking and standing at the window, staring at the diamonds inside the shop. You can still see the movement of Audrey, that she is having breakfast. I think this scene is very brilliant, it also matches the name of the film, that having breakfast at the Tiffany’s. Then the scene comes back to Audrey. I also like the contrast of her movement. At first she is elegant in the fancy dress, then she holds her dress, runs across the street, and avoiding the guy to see her. This opening scene used a lot of match cut. it’s very smooth and I think it’s very reasonable for audiences. 

The movie I hate is the movie called Melancholia. It’s a really long film produced by Lars Von Trier. I analyzed emotions in his movie for writing class last semester. Melancholia was made in 2011. The narrative revolves around two sisters during and shortly after one's wedding, while an approaching rogue planet is about to collide with Earth. The film premiered May 18, 2011 at the 64th Cannes Film Festival. The film begins with an introductory sequence involving the main characters and images from space, introducing many of the film's visual leitmotifs. The film continues in two parts, the first one is named by the main character ‘Justine’, and another one is named by her sister ‘Claire’. “The idea for the film originated during a therapy session Lars von Trier attended during treatments for his depression. 

The first reason that I don't like this movie is because of the way Lars Von Trier shoot this movie. He used a lot of long shots, for example the oping scene, it starts from a really wide angle, I can barley see the character at the first time. I think this is too much. I don't think audience can feel anything at the very beginning of the film. And also, the camera movement is always shaking, although it gives audience a feeling of real life, but it can be really dizzy for audience staring of the shaking sense for almost three hours. 

没有评论:

发表评论